When it's hot,
- Sightsee in early morning or late afternoon.
- Don't exercise or work in the heat of the
- Wear loose-fitting, light coloured cottons
and avoid synthetics.
- Safeguard yourself from UVB and UVA rays
with high-protection factor sunscreens, sun glasses
and wide rim hats.
- Take frequent cool but not icy showers.
- Drink at least 10 liters of water daily.
Light colored urine indicates that you are well-hydrated.
Carry bottled water with you if necessary.
- Remember that coffee and alcohol tend to
Assunta Uffer-Marcolongo, President of the International
Association for Medical Travellers (IAMAT))
most of your day spa...
Want to be
wonderfully relaxed and beautifully groomed for
a very special event?
- Book spa appointments well in advance to
- Arrive on time to get ready for treatments
and to make the best use of your time.
- Don't add stress before you de-stress.
Plan to have a relaxing day off and don't schedule
other types of daily appointments around your treatments.
- If facilities are available, try and stay
overnight. There's nothing like a spa mini-getaway
to renew your mind, body and spirit.
- Wear casual attire and no make-up.
your swimsuit to those spas that offer an opportunity
to use their relaxing water facilities -- pool,
jacuzzi or hot tub.
at Millcroft Inn, Ontario, Canada www.spa.millcroft.com)
Walk your way
Think you can't
do the cardio required to get your heart into shape?
Think again. Even a modest walking program can bring
body benefits. In a recent study involving 40,000
women, study participants who walked as little as
one hour per week had a significantly lower risk
of heart disease than those participants who were
sedentary. Walking one hour per week at a moderate
pace can reduce your risk of heart disease by as
much as 50%.
Tense and Release
Exercise for Relaxation...
relax! Tense your feet tightly for 10 seconds, then
release. Continue up the body through calves, thighs,
buttocks, belly, & chest, isolating and tensing
each muscle group independently. With arms at sides,
bring shoulder blades together; squeeze shoulders
towards ears. Let your head fall forward and back
gently. Scrunch up your face. Purse lips, then draw
them back towards ears. Say the vowels of the alphabet,
A-E-I-O-U, audibly, three times. Take a breath and
release it through the mouth two times. Now notice
how much more relaxed you feel!
and lose weight...
steps to end weight struggles forever, without dieting!
- Eat according to internal cues that tell you when,
what and how much to eat. In other words, eat when
you're hungry and stop when you're full.
- Eat sensibly, and realize that sensible eating
can include your favorite foods and taste great!
- Find enjoyable ways to move your body. That way,
you're more likely to move it regularly!
- Focus on getting fit, not on losing weight. Let
your healthy behaviors take your body to its right
experts at Green Mountain at Fox Run, www.fitwoman.com)
Iced tea is
not fuel for your cooling system...
Iced tea, iced
coffee, an ice cold beer or caffeine-containing
colas may seem like the perfect thirst quenchers
when you are hot and tired. Wrong! They are all
dehydrating and will increase your body's fluid
loses. So, go ahead and enjoy them. But always be
sure to down a couple of water chasers.
Quenchers by Rosie Schwartz, GUSTO!, Summer).